Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Short Attention Span Review: "Inglorious Basterds"



Finally got to see this before it escaped theaters. I'm glad I did - it seems most worthwhile to see this movie on the big screen (especially the explosive finale).

That said: I didn't *love* this movie. My problem with it comes down to the simple fact that two storylines are leading to the same conclusion and diminishing each other as a result. Shoshanna's vengeful plan to blow up Hitler's top men in the cinema runs parallel to the Basterds' plan to blow up Hitler's top men in the cinema. A friend correctly noted that this is basically two movies competing with each other inside of one. Neither comes out the winner.

Some elements of the movie were winners for me, though. Christopher Waltz was a great surprise as Hans Landa. I most enjoyed the scenes where people just talked and tension built, and he was in most of those.

No comments: