Sunday, October 11, 2009

Lessons I've Learned No. 4: One's a Lot of Fun

As much as I've enjoyed the "group" epic adventures on OtherSpace throughout the years, the artifact tournament events remind me how much more I prefer running activities for an individual player.

Team events are still great for allowing people to work together, but often it's a challenge - usually not terribly successful - to make sure that everyone involved in the group event gets their moment to shine and has a good time.

In a solo event? Well, that's different. It all comes down to the interaction between the player, the ref, the +sheet, and the story that's being told. Through these solo events, I learn more about the characters, their capabilities, their strengths, and their weaknesses. I also experience first-hand whether a player is a good sport or not.

It can be argued that I get more bang for my buck if I throw a lot of effort into an epic event that a dozen players can experience. But, I don't know. The buzz I'm hearing about the artifact tournament, which can be viewed live in the Last Orders Tavern when bouts are in progress, is that more people wish they'd signed up because of the cool stuff they've seen their fellow players doing on a solo basis.

So, expect me to look for more excuses, whenever possible, to run activities that just involve one player at a time.

No comments: